cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rene Moser <m...@renemoser.net>
Subject Re: [4.11] Management to VR connection issues
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:11:00 GMT

On 02/26/2018 12:41 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:

> - If waiting for ssh and apache2 as part of post-init solves the issue, this would require
a new systemvmtemplate as the systemd scripts cannot be changed or make effect during first
boot.

The waiting for ssh was not the issue, it was a result.

The hang of cloud-postinit caused by p.wait() when having a ton of
iptable rules was the issue. But this is addressed already. should be fine.

a systemctl list-jobs shows "no pending jobs" anymore, so the boot has
completed.

After that the VR should be accessable by SSH (3922) by managemement
right, but it is not.

Did you see  the changes after a reboot (please compare the screenshots
of the ip addr output I sent). After that reboot/network change, SSH
works...

> - I think the additional nics always used to show up for vmware, there is a global setting
to configure this (extra nics for vmware, probably because older versions did not support
dynamic nic addition on vmware vrs).

On 4.5.2, we only see 4 NICs. in 4.11 we see 5 of them. We were just
wondering if this could result in an issue. What global setting would
that be?

> - For VR timeouts, see logs and check if from management server host you're able to SSH
into the VR using the private IP and port 3922. See the troubleshooting wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SSVM%2C+templates%2C+Secondary+storage+troubleshooting

Yes, after a manual reboot of the VR, we can SSH-in as I wrote. Without
a reboot of the VR, we get a "no route to host". So it seems not even an
arp ping is working.

> - Can you share/check which processes are consuming the RAM, 256MB ram is usually enough
for non-redundant VRs. (share output of top or check using htop?). Make sure to use a latest
Linux version (any Debian variant such as Debian 8, 9 or Ubuntu 16.04+ may also work). The
issue is vCenter/ESXi 6.5 for some reason, gives lower RAM compared to 6.0 and 5.5 and has
poor support for legacy os. I had faced/found this issue while testing redundant VRs which
take more RAM usually than normal VRs.

Using the shapeblue VR template (your template ;))

So the man docs says
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/initscripts/tmpfs.5.en.html

unfortunately only a fstab entry worked for me, setting the
/etc/default/tmpfs didn't.

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/2468/commits/bd882a8f80763595a89a3b74330500e1965bfda3