cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] EOL for supported OSes & Hypervisors
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2018 19:57:55 GMT
I am having a hard time imagining why a new Cloudstack user would want
to use CentOS 6.
I have not heard complaints from any forum about applications running on
CentOS 6 that could not run on CentOS 7.

It does have an impact of DevOps but even there it is pretty minor and
well documented and once one gets one's head around systemctl,
journalctl and firewalld, it really is a lot better

As you pointed out, support for CentOS 7 is mandatory regardless of the
decision on CentOS 6.
It will be a big black mark against CloudStack if the current
RedHat/CentOS release is not supported 2.5 years after its release.

For existing Cloudstack users, is there a large risk that dropping
official support for CentOS6 as a VM would result in a CentOS 6 VM not
running after an upgrade to the latest Cloudstack?
Is there anyone in the community that absolutely can not upgrade? Would
they take over the testing of CentOS 6 if official support was dropped?

Anyone using CentOS6 as a hypervisor will have to upgrade soon in any
event and as you point out Cloudstack will soon be forced to move from
CentOS 6 by dependencies dropping support for CentOS 6.

It would seem to make sense to declare an EOL date for support for
CentOS 6 as a hypervisor as soon as possible so that system
administrators are put on notice.

Ron

On 16/01/2018 12:58 PM, Paul Angus wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> This is the type of discussion that I wanted to open - the argument that I see for earlier
dropping of v6 is that - Between May 2018 and q2 2020 RHEL/CentOS 6.x will only receive security
and mission critical updates, meanwhile packages on which we depend or may want to utilise
in the future are been deprecated or not developed for v6.x
> Also the testing and development burden on the CloudStack community increases as we try
to maintain backward compatibility while including new versions.

> Needing installation documentation for centos 7 is a great point, and something that
we need to address regardless.

> Does anyone else have a view, I'd really like to here from a wide range of people.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> @shapeblue

the end is not here *yet*. Furthermore, the install documentation is still written for Centos
6 rather than Centos 7. That needs to be fixed before discontinuing support for Centos 6,
eh?

>> On Jan 12, 2018, at 04:35, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 I've updated the page with upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
>>

>> After 4.11, I think 4.12 (assuming releases by mid of 2018) should remove "declared"
(they might still work with 4.12+ but in docs and by project we should officially support
them) support for following:

>> a. Hypervisor:
>>
>> XenServer - 6.2, 6.5,
>>
>> KVM - CentOS6, RHEL6, Ubuntu12.04 (I think this is already removed, packages don't
work I think?)

>> vSphere/Vmware - 4.x, 5.0, 5.1, 5.5
>>

>> b. Remove packaging for CentOS6.x, RHEL 6.x (the el6 packages), and Ubuntu 12.04
(any non-systemd debian distro).

--
Ron Wheeler
President