cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Replace the default built-in centos template
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:56:52 GMT
I like the idea of having two default/built-in templates for users - CentOS and Ubuntu (or
Debian or both?), however, most of the distros don't host all the templates in all the formats
that CloudStack can consume.

The other issues are how do we fix this for users, I propose:

- We don't add these new templates for existing environments/installations to maintain backward
compatibilities and usage. The built-in templates are available on download.cloudstack.org.

- For new installations, we add these new built-in templates in the templates.sql file.

However, the old CentOS5.x based built-in template is used in several of the tests where the
tool/env is not same as found in macchinina or other test templates. To solve this problem,
I propose to keep the built-in templates separate from test-templates -- I've started refactoring
smoke tests (in my PR #2211) to use a new utility 'get_test_template' from marvin that atmost
downloads a test template (currently macchinina) returns them to tests to use. (I hit some
issues where I could not replace the built-in centos template with macchinina as cert tools/binaries
are not available or kernel does not understand a filesystem type etc. I'm compiling those
issues and will work with Nux and others to eventually get them fixed). I think for reproducibilities
(of running and verifying test/results), we need a test template that is different from what
is shipped in prod cloudstack env (and also small, fast).

- Rohit