cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack LTS EOL date?
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 14:30:42 GMT
Hi René,

I've update the LTS wiki to reflect that 4.9(.x) will be supported until 1 July 2018, and
4.11 (next LTS) will be released in Jan 2018 (tentatively) supported until 1 July 2019:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/LTS

In our next release, we'll also update the website creating a new section of LTS and non-LTS
release, with link to above wiki and the supported date(s).

Regards.

________________________________
From: Rene Moser <mail@renemoser.net>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 11:35:06 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: CloudStack LTS EOL date?

Hi Paul

On 11/27/2017 06:27 PM, Paul Angus wrote:
> Hi Rene,
>
> note: I'm only stating what the original intent was when LTS was originally proposed.
 I'm not trying to dictate what we must do now or in the future.

> ... The LTS scheme was designed when there was a release coming out every one or two
months, and these releases were effectively only receiving fixes for a month or two.

> To answer your questions (taking into account the note above)- 4.9 was an LTS version,
which meant that there would be a 4.9.1, 4.9.2......4.9.6... for a period of 2 years.
> 4.9.x was the latest 'version' at the beginning of 2017.
> Unfortunately, it was also the latest version in the middle of 2017. So in mid-2017 we
took the latest version (4.9 again) and said that we would continue backporting fix for that
version for 2 years from mid 2017.

This is absolutely fine, we are on the same page.

> Some variant of your proposal "6 months after next LTS release (minimum 18 months)."
would also work.
> I think something like "supported for a minimum of 6 months after next LTS release or
a total period of 24 months, whichever is greater" suits what you are saying?

That would definitely make things more clear to users.

Regards
René

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com