cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack LTS EOL date?
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 16:39:19 GMT
HI All,

The current LTS cycle is based on having an LTS release twice a year (at the time of design,
ACS releases were coming out monthly).

So, twice a year (nominally, January and July) we take the then current version of CloudStack,
and declare that an LTS version, for which would we would then backport fixes for a period
of up to 2 years.  Thereby giving end users a version of CloudStack which would receive bug
fixes for an extended period.

This year however, the current version in January was the same as the current version in July,
therefore 4.9 became the 'July' LTS as well as January LTS and therefore 4.9 will be supported
until summer 2019 (hence the 4.9.3 release)

I and a number of my colleagues remain committed to continue to support 'LTS' releases in
this fashion (there just wasn't anything really to 'announce' in July), which may be why people
think that nothing is happening.

With 2 LTS releases a year (6 months apart), 'next LTS +6 months' would only be 12 months
from release.  Which I think is really too short a period for the majority of enterprises.
 Although we haven't written it this way, the current scheme gives a EOL of 'next LTS + 18
months'.

So, I'm in favour of leaving things as they are.   The wiki page looks like it needs updating
to be clearer (I'm happy to do that)

But I DO think that we should start a new thread asking for a 4.11 RM volunteer to get things
going.   (I'm guessing y'all don't what my big mouth in that position).

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com