cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][SECURITY] Feature: Secure CloudStack Communications
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:21:39 GMT
Thank you all, the feature has been merged into master with extensive testing. I'll now proceed
with sending a doc PR to document this feature, and usage of scripts.

- Rohit

________________________________
From: ilya <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:20:41 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS][SECURITY] Feature: Secure CloudStack Communications

Awesome work - thank you Rohit.

On 8/23/17 12:49 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> All,
>

> No regression is seen in the smoke test run, however, I'll leave the PR open for some
time to gather further feedback and reviews.

> - Rohit
>
> ________________________________

features such as SAML, they all need some sort of certificate management and the idea with
the proposed feature is to build a pluggable certificate authority manager (CA Manager). I
would like to kick an initial discussion around how we can secure components of CloudStacks.
A CA service/manager that can create/provision/deploy certificates providing both automated
and semi-automated ways for deploying/setup of certificates using in-band (ssh, command-answer
pattern) and out-of-band (ssh, ansible, chef etc) to CloudStack services (such as systemvm
agents, KVM agents, possible webservices running in systemvms, VRs etc).

> While we do have some APIs and mechanisms to secure user/external facing services where
we can use custom or failsafe SSL/TLS certificates, it's far from a complete solution. The
present communications between CloudStack management server, its peers and agents (served
on port 8250) is one way SSL handshaked connection, is not authenticated while may be secure
by insecure certificates.

> As a first step, it is proposed to create a general purpose pluggable CA service with
a default plugin implementation where CloudStack becomes a Root-CA and can issue self-signed
certificates. Such certificates may be consumed by CloudStack agents (CPVM/SSVM/KVM) and other
components/services (such as SAML, container services etc). The pluggable CA framework should
allow developers to extend the functionality by implementing provider plugins that may work
with other CA providers such as LetsEncrypt, an existing/internal CA infrastructure, or other
certificate vendors.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue