cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:11:53 GMT
Depending on the timescales that we looking at, if we can get an agreement to use Packer going
forward, there is an argument to say that spending time getting the Debian 9 template to work
on VeeWee and then on Packer is wasted effort and that we should just use this as the opportunity
to move over to Packer/Debian9.

Having spent the weekend fighting with RVM/VeeWee/Ruby.  And finding that we've hard linked
rvm to Ruby 2.1.1 when it's now on 2.4, Veewee hasn't been updated for years  and other mismatches.
 I'm very interested to see other options explored.

Veewee doesn't do the disk conversions at them moment, so we can still keep that a separate
process for corner cases that Packer (or something else) can't manage..

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
Sent: 28 July 2017 20:30
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate

I think we can move to packer once we can get the Debian9 based systemvmtemplate to work.

I think we should focus on doing this first and then focus on migration to a new build system
as a next step.

I spent some time today and with some help from veewee authors, I could get a base template
up and running:

The above PR branch is pushed on ASF remote and allows for cross-collaboration with all ACS
committers. Please collaborate with me on this and feel free to push changes on the branch
as separate commits and/or make changes to the PR. Thanks.

- Rohit