cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Closing old Pull Requests on Github
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2017 08:58:40 GMT
My personal opinion is such activities are not useful and generally a waste of time, it might
give us a feel good factor that the total open PRs (for that matter JIRA tickets) are low
but it may do more harm than good. In general, a PR might take up to 6 months to merge depending
on how engaging the author(s), reviewers and RMs were, so I would not close any PRs at least
a year old, for example yesterday I reviewed/tested/merged few PRs originally submitted in
2015/2016 but reworked/rebased in recent weeks/months. However, it might make sense to close
duplicate PRs and in other circumstances but avoid a general rule.

Such an exercise may not be very useful, instead I would advise that we make an effort to
engage with reviewers and author(s) to get them fixed/merged in our free time.

- Rohit

________________________________
From: Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 10:22:28 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Closing old Pull Requests on Github

Hi,

While writing this e-mail we have 191 Open Pull requests [0] on Github and that number keeps
hovering around ~200.

We have a great number of PRs being merged, but a lot of code is old and doesn't even merge
anymore.

My proposal would be that we close all PRs which didn't see any activity in the last 3 months
(Jun, July and May 2017) with the following message:

"This Pull Request is being closed for not seeing any activity since May 2017.

The CloudStack project is in a transition from the Apache Foundation's Git infrastructure
to Github and due to that not all PRs we able to be tested and/or merged.

It's not our intention to say that we don't value the PR, but it's a way to get a better overview
of what needs to be merged.

If you think closing this PR is a mistake, please add a comment and re-open the PR! If you
do that, could you please make sure that the PR merges against the branch it was submitted
against?

Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation!"

How does that sound?

Wido

[0]: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pulls

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ