cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Stoyanov <boris.stoya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Extending Marvin Smoketest Suite
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:39:07 GMT
Hi all,

Furthermore I think there’s a way to slice through the tests and pick up those you need
more efficiently.

As a first step we can work with the test attributes and introduce a “quick-test” tag.
This tag would be used on tests that are vital and really high level, like for example CRUD
operations and some basic functionality like deploy a VM. The idea behind that is to execute
this for less then an hour and get quick feedback on your changes. Based on this feedback
you’ll be able to take decision whether to continue using this build for testing or not.

Currently smoketests run for about a day. And surely we can skip some of the areas since they
are not touched. For example if you did a change in the VR, there’s no need to run all the
Account tests on this PR, but focus more on the tests that are relative to the change. Using
the same approach we can divide all the tests into categories, for example: vm-deployment,
virtual-router, accounts, storage, infrastructure, projects, events and so on… Having this
categories we would have more focused test execution for our PRs and it’ll make it more
faster.

For example if I submit a PR for a change in the virtual router. As a first step I would execute
the “quick-test” label, this would give me early feedback that there’s generally nothing
wrong with my changes and most of the CloudStack feature are working (<1h in time). Then
I would run the tests with the label “virtual-router” which would drill down the directory
and fetch me the tests related to the VR only and execute them.
This approach could save about half the time of test execution or even more…

Nevertheless these changes would bring no change in the way people are using the tests right
now and they will be able to execute them as before. It’s more like a on demand asking for
a group of tests to be executed.

As next steps we could think of a way to utilize the labels in GitHub more and link them with
the test categories and specific hypervisors. After that we could look for a way to automate
the test runs with BlueOrangutan with the given labels.

Thanks,
Boris Stoyanov

boris.stoyanov@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 10:14 AM, Boris Stoyanov <boris.stoyanov@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Will,
>
> There’s big set of projects tests in the component suite, I’ll add that in the the
task and review what tests would be good to go in the smoke test suite. Please shout if you
explicitly need something added.