cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Satki Badal <satki.ba...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move to Debian9 systemvmtemplate
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:30:44 GMT
The whole ruby platform is running out of steam, high time to move to Packer while moving system
VMS to Debian9.

- Satki

> On 31-Jul-2017, at 2:41 PM, Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> Depending on the timescales that we looking at, if we can get an agreement to use Packer
going forward, there is an argument to say that spending time getting the Debian 9 template
to work on VeeWee and then on Packer is wasted effort and that we should just use this as
the opportunity to move over to Packer/Debian9.

> Having spent the weekend fighting with RVM/VeeWee/Ruby.  And finding that we've hard
linked rvm to Ruby 2.1.1 when it's now on 2.4, Veewee hasn't been updated for years  and other
mismatches.  I'm very interested to see other options explored.

> Veewee doesn't do the disk conversions at them moment, so we can still keep that a separate
process for corner cases that Packer (or something else) can't manage..

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> @shapeblue

ACS committers. Please collaborate with me on this and feel free to push changes on the branch
as separate commits and/or make changes to the PR. Thanks.

> - Rohit

to validate with newest XS and updated Packer - I just lack the infra to do the testing.