cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Smith <john.smith....@gmail.com>
Subject Extend CloudStack for a new hypervisor
Date Thu, 18 May 2017 21:29:05 GMT
Greetings!

I have a need to extend CloudStack to support an additional hypervisor.
This is not something I consider strategic for CloudStack itself, but I
have a project with a very specific need.

I have a development background but am not an active developer right now
... so looking forward to getting back in the saddle!  I've never developed
against the CloudStack tree before.

I can't find any docs on how one would introduce support for a new
hypervisor (eg. what classes, methods, etc, need to be implemented,
extended, etc) and checking the source tree I can't easily see if there is
a base to build from.  I would appreciate any pointers about where to start
looking to save me going through the entire tree from scratch.

The standard CloudStack concepts should be easy enough (ha!) to map 1:1 to
this additional hypervisor (including primary & secondary storage, router &
secondary storage VMs, the networking concepts, etc) so I'm hoping that I
can simply implement it like a VMware or Xen backend ...

Thanks in advance!

John.