cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Jeromy Grimmett <jer...@cloudbrix.com>
Subject [Proposal] - StorageHA
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2017 15:28:28 GMT
Hello,

I am new to the mailing list, and we are glad to be a part of the CloudStack community.  We
are looking to develop plugins and modules that will help grow and expand the adoption and
use of CloudStack.  So as part of my introductory email, I'd like to introduce a little project
we have been working on; a StorageHA Monitor.  The Monitor would allow CloudStack and the
hosts to test, communicate and resolve VM availability issues when storage (primary and/or
secondary) availability becomes apparent.  This is a small write up about how it would work:

Consists of two scripts/programs:

The host script runs on the host servers and checks to see if the primary and secondary storage
is available by doing a read/write test then reports to the master script that runs on the
Cloudstack server. The host script will test a read and a write to the storage every 5 seconds
(configurable), and if it fails 3 times (configurable) then it will be recorded by the master
script.

The master script will monitor the results of the host script. If the test is good, nothing
happens and the results are logged and so that we can track the history of the test results.
If the test reports back as failed, then it will perform the following actions:

*         Secondary Storage - It will simply generate and send an alert that the failure has
occurred.

*         Primary Storage - The script will perform the following tasks:

o   Generate and send an alert that the failure has occurred.

o   Force the VMs on that host to shutdown.

o   Determine which host to move the VMs to.

o   Start the VMs on the healthy host.

We have already started working on some code, and the solution seems to be testing well.
Any thoughts/ideas/input are(is) welcome.  Should there are a solution out there already,
then please forgive our ignorance, and point us in the right direction. We look forward to
further collaboration with you all.

Regards,

Jeromy Grimmett
[cb-sig-logo2]