cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Gust <digitalg...@163.com>
Subject Re: Stop one of primary storage but no vm diskimg in it , All vm stoped.
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 04:44:36 GMT
when change the C storage to maintance , group normally ,no exception occured.

when stop the NFS on C storage , all vm stoped and  some hypervisors   rebooted  by cloudstack-agent.

In C storage ,only one file that for VMC1, there aren’t disk image for other vms , so it
stoped all vms to be beyond comprehension.

> 在 2017年3月22日,11:39,Tutkowski, Mike <Mike.Tutkowski@netapp.com> 写道:
>
> Do you know if your other VMs shut down when you stopped the NFS service or when you
put the primary storage into maintenance mode?

> Putting a primary storage in maintenance mode should only shut down VMs that have one
or more disks running from that primary storage.

> For example, if you had your root disk on primary storage A and a data disk on primary
storage C and you put primary storage C into maintenance mode, then this VM will be shut down.

> On 3/21/17, 9:12 PM, "Gust" <digitalgust@163.com> wrote:
>
>   Our cloudstack (4.9.1) group have 4 primary storage  named as A/B/C/D, almost all vm
disk image in A storage. only one  vm (name VMC1) disk image in C storage.

>   yesterday ,
>   we close  VMC1 and  change the C storage to maintance state,
>   then stop the NFS service  in C storage ,
>   after that , all vm stoped , whatever vm disk image in A or in C,
>   we were stunned.
>
>   In cloudstack website , we found follow doc , but it descripte stops all VMs stored
on C storage device in my situation, what happenned ?

>   Primary Storage Outage and Data Loss¶
>   When a primary storage outage occurs the hypervisor immediately stops all VMs stored
    ——>    on that storage device    <——     . Guests that are marked for HA
will be restarted as soon as practical when the primary storage comes back on line. With NFS,
the hypervisor may allow the virtual machines to continue running depending on the nature
of the issue. For example, an NFS hang will cause the guest VMs to be suspended until storage
connectivity is restored.Primary storage is not designed to be backed up. Individual volumes
in primary storage can be backed up using snapshots.