cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Weller <swel...@ena.com>
Subject Re: Cannot migrate VMware VM with root disk to host in different cluster (CloudStack 4.10)
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 20:18:55 GMT
Mike,

It is possible to do this on vcenter, but it requires a special license I believe.

Here's the info on it :

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-A16BA123-403C-4D13-A581-DC4062E11165.html

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-561681D9-6511-44DF-B169-F20E6CA94944.html

- Si
________________________________
From: Tutkowski, Mike <Mike.Tutkowski@netapp.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:09 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cannot migrate VMware VM with root disk to host in different cluster (CloudStack
4.10)

This is interesting:

If I shut the VM down and then migrate its root disk to storage in the other cluster, then
start up the VM, the VM gets started up correctly (running on the new host using the other
datastore).

Perhaps you simply cannot live migrate a VM and its storage from one cluster to another with
VMware? This works for XenServer and I probably just assumed it would work in VMware, but
maybe it doesn’t?

The reason I’m asking now is because I’m investigating the support of cross-cluster migration
of a VM that uses managed storage. This works for XenServer as of 4.9 and I was looking to
implement similar functionality for VMware.