cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mike.Tutkow...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: Cannot migrate VMware VM with root disk to host in different cluster (CloudStack 4.10)
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 20:21:26 GMT
Thanks, Simon

I wonder if we support that in CloudStack.

On 3/23/17, 2:18 PM, "Simon Weller" <sweller@ena.com> wrote:

    Mike,

    It is possible to do this on vcenter, but it requires a special license I believe.

    Here's the info on it :

    https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-A16BA123-403C-4D13-A581-DC4062E11165.html

    https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp#com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-561681D9-6511-44DF-B169-F20E6CA94944.html

    - Si
    ________________________________
    From: Tutkowski, Mike <Mike.Tutkowski@netapp.com>
    Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:09 PM
    To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Cannot migrate VMware VM with root disk to host in different cluster (CloudStack
4.10)

    This is interesting:

    If I shut the VM down and then migrate its root disk to storage in the other cluster,
then start up the VM, the VM gets started up correctly (running on the new host using the
other datastore).

    Perhaps you simply cannot live migrate a VM and its storage from one cluster to another
with VMware? This works for XenServer and I probably just assumed it would work in VMware,
but maybe it doesn’t?

    The reason I’m asking now is because I’m investigating the support of cross-cluster
migration of a VM that uses managed storage. This works for XenServer as of 4.9 and I was
looking to implement similar functionality for VMware.