cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Stoyanov <boris.stoya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: :[VOTE] Apache Cloudstack 4.10.0.0
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2017 13:24:40 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for creating this release candidate Rajani.

I’ve run some upgrade tests and have some results to share with you all. Hopefully we could
address them.

4.5 -> 4.10

Following the upgrade instructions from this page: http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.10/upgrade/upgrade-4.5.html

I’ve registered the template with the right naming: "systemvm-kvm-4.10”, waited until
it was in Ready status.

Then following the upgrade procedure, upgraded the management and the cs-agent.

Upon starting the management the db.upgrade kicked in, but it failed with the following error:
com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: 4.6.0KVM SystemVm template not found. Cannot
upgrade system Vms

It appears that the upgrade script is still looking for 4.6 ssvm template while a newer version
is installed.

Created an issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9807

4.9 -> 4.10

Following the same source of information (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-release-notes/en/4.10/upgrade/upgrade-4.9.html)
I’ve registered the template with the right naming: "systemvm-kvm-4.10”, waited until
it was in Ready status.

Then upgraded management and the cloudstack-agent on all hosts.

Upon starting the management, the DB upgrade was successful. I’ve logged in the system and
observed that it was still using 4.6.0 ssvm templates. The option to upgrade the VR wasn’t
available as well. Checking global settings it turns out minreq.sysvmtemplate.version = 4.6.0
and router.template.kvm was pointing to the original ssmv template (not systemvm-kvm-4.10).
The original ssvm template is still in active state but it should be in InActive.
This basically leaves the user unable to upgrade ssvm (which are not working btw) without
hacking the DB and global settings

Created an issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9808

I think these two issues should be addressed in the db upgrade script.

Also it is worth mentioning that when you get to the point where you can see the upgrade button
on the VR, when clicking on it, it doesn’t do anything but restarting. In order to actually
upgrade the router you’ll need to do a network restart (with cleanup option), which will
recreate the router.

There are also smoketests running on fresh installations of 4.10. I’m expecting the results
to come up soon, I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Boris Stoyanov

boris.stoyanov@shapeblue.com