cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: FW: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 10:02:29 GMT
I'll do some jira grooming the next couple of days, maybe we find some.

________________________________
From: Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>
Sent: 06 February 2017 10:59:07
To: Giles Sirett; dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming

> Op 6 februari 2017 om 9:51 schreef Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All
> See below - Google Summer of code 2017 isn't far away.
> Previously, we've had a number of project committers who have come to us through a GSOC
project

Do we have small sized projects / ideas ready to be submitted for GSOC?

> Become a mentor isn't something to be taken lightly but I would encourage as many of
our community as possible to consider it - it will hopefully help wth the next generation
of people excited to work on cloudstack

Did this for the Ceph project. It is a lot of work.

Wido

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>

> giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
> @shapeblue

their summer working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for developing
open source software full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and project
ideas, and in return have the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to
identify and bring in new committers.

> The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't
have to apply separately.

> If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the following things as
soon as possible but by no later than 2017-02-09:

> 1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].
>
> 2. record your project ideas.
>
> Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2017, and they will show up at [3]. Please
be as specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the programming language, the
tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed
to learn what's required before the program starts.

> Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck,
...) or technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].

> Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't use
JIRA (e.g.
> httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org if you need assistance.
>
> [4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2017 shortly).
>
> 3. subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org; restricted to potential mentors, meant
to be used as a private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org
list as much as possible please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or
one of your alias addresses on record).

> Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet, nevertheless you
*have to* start recording your ideas now or we will not get accepted.

> Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our
prior students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

> Cheers,
>
> Uli
>
> P.S.: Except for the private parts (label spreadsheet mostly), this email is free to
be shared publicly if you want to.

> [1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
> [2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> [3] http://s.apache.org/gsoc2017ideas
> [4] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
> [5] http://s.apache.org/gsoclabels

daan.hoogland@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, Utrecht Utrecht 3531 VENetherlands
@shapeblue