cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <chirade...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modern template hosting
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:55:56 GMT
To repeat what was discussed earlier in the thread: the cloud templates
provided by Ubuntu and CentOS do not work because they expect the metadata
URL to be at http://169.254.269.254/. Well, they work, but they take
awfully long to time out and after they time out, you still wouldn't  be
able to login since they do not install the ssh keys.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> > Op 28 februari 2017 om 2:40 schreef Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion891@apache.org
> >:
> >

> > hi!
> >
> > I think we should work with distro provider to have their cloud builds
> work
> > with cloudstack. Good example is CoreOS, it work out of the box from
> their
> > channel builds.
> > it shouldn't be too complicated to have centos, ubuntu and debian, unless
>
> I fully agree. I think that we shouldn't bother about VM templates. CentOS
> and Ubuntu both have a proper template which we can include.
>
> The less we host as a project, the better.
>
> Keep in mind that we host a Open Source project. the RPM and DEB packages
> on cloudstack.apt-get.eu are a service, but we release source as a
> project.
>
> Wido
>

> > For our systemvm templates, can we just change the URL for somthing like
> > cloudstack.apache.org/systemvm/... ?
> > and for old systemvm that are depricated but that we might want to keep,
> > could we archive them into a github repo in
> > https://github.com/apachecloudstack ?
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <chiradeepv@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My stance is that the current workflow does a disservice to the user
> > > community by letting them install / use outdated and insecure
> templates.
> > > Now, let's assume download.cloud.com is gone forever. What do we tell
> ACS
> > > users pre-4.11 as far as *built-in templates* go?
> > > 1. Direct them to update templates.sql with some new URL, but with the
> same
> > > dirty old templates
> > > 2. Direct them to update templates.sql with some new URL, but with nice
> > > templates (e.g., open.vm.eu)
> > > 3. Same as (2), but document more choices.
> > >
> > > Now, why should things be different for 4.11 and later? Documenting the
> > > steps to install templates offline is trivial (and can be scripted to a
> > > large part, like cloud-install-sys-tmplt)
> > >
> > > For pre-4.11 users, for *systemvms*, anyway we tell them to use
> [...]
ASF at:
> with
> > > the
> host