cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Luc Dion <pdion...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modern template hosting
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 01:40:19 GMT
hi!

I think we should work with distro provider to have their cloud builds work
with cloudstack. Good example is CoreOS, it work out of the box from their
channel builds.
it shouldn't be too complicated to have centos, ubuntu and debian, unless

For our systemvm templates, can we just change the URL for somthing like
cloudstack.apache.org/systemvm/... ?
and for old systemvm that are depricated but that we might want to keep,
could we archive them into a github repo in
https://github.com/apachecloudstack ?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <chiradeepv@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My stance is that the current workflow does a disservice to the user
> community by letting them install / use outdated and insecure templates.
> Now, let's assume download.cloud.com is gone forever. What do we tell ACS
> users pre-4.11 as far as *built-in templates* go?
> 1. Direct them to update templates.sql with some new URL, but with the same
> dirty old templates
> 2. Direct them to update templates.sql with some new URL, but with nice
> templates (e.g., open.vm.eu)
> 3. Same as (2), but document more choices.
>
> Now, why should things be different for 4.11 and later? Documenting the
> steps to install templates offline is trivial (and can be scripted to a
> large part, like cloud-install-sys-tmplt)
>
> For pre-4.11 users, for *systemvms*, anyway we tell them to use
> http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu which is not controlled by ACS.
>

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Rafael Weingärtner <
> rafaelweingartner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Agree with you.
> > We need to support the current working flow. And then, define the first
> > version that will start using the new approach.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Will Stevens <wstevens@cloudops.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I think we almost need a two pronged approach.
> > >
> > > 1) Get a solution in place which will enable us to document and serve
> > > templates for legacy systems.  I will work on this.
> > > 2) Discuss and understand how we SHOULD be handling this problem in the
> > > future and in what release we can expect it.
> > >
> > > I think we need to do both.  I think we should start to try to really
> > > understand what we want to deliver in (2) going forward.
> > >
> > > *Will STEVENS*
> > > Lead Developer
> > >
> > > <https://goo.gl/NYZ8KK>

> > > installation