cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving for JDK8, this time for real!
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 12:55:38 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> All,
>

> I've been working on moving our codebase and runtime-environment to Java 8, and since
this is a much needed big change I want your feedback and blessings on:

> In order for this to work, I had to make changes in our veewee-based systemvmtemplate
build scripts to install a third party opensource openjdk-8-jre distribution (xulu-8 is a
openjdk-8 distribution from Azul, please review and advise wrt their terms of usage here:
http://www.azul.com/products/zulu/zulu-terms-of-use/), since

> Debian 7 (wheezy) repositories don't have openjdk-8-jre and installing openjdk-8-jre
from testing/sid updates several system packages such as libc that I wanted to avoid. Accepting
this change on master/4.10 would require us to have a new systemvmtemplate for 4.10+ releases.

> With these changes, I've ran smoke tests across KVM, VMware and XenServer in the following
PR and all of the tests are passing (ignoring known intermittent failures in vpc/rvr related
tests).

> Thoughts, feedback?

Wheezy has roughly 1 year left (until May 2018) before it is EOL.
Since 4.10 is not LTS and the fact that both Java8 and Debian Jessie
could have hard to find issues I would suggest that you update the
systemvm now, and work through bugs and quirks throught the 4.10.x
version.
I believe there are other changes, like strongswan, as well that could
make 4.10 a potentially unstable version?

--
Erik