cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS][FUTURE] Move to JDK1.8 and support JRE1.8
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2016 07:46:03 GMT
I have no idea of the effort involved, so I'm going to pretend that it would be easy.....

It would be great if our plugin model for network functions could become more of a driver
model, such that these things could be developed and maintained independantly of the ACS release
cycles.

It would be a fantastic step toward a proper, flexible NFV offering.

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com]
Sent: 27 December 2016 07:24
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS][FUTURE] Move to JDK1.8 and support JRE1.8

All,

Java7 has eol-ed, it's about time to move to Java8 for both codebase and runtime [1].

An experimental PR [2] shows that moving to Java8 is fairly straight forward. The only component
that is failing is F5 network plugin, which lacks authors/maintainers as this issue has been
previously raised on dev@ [3].

In order to move to JDK8, we'll need to take hard decisions to comment/exclude plugins such
as F5 from the default build profiles that may not get fixes and improvements from their authors/maintainers.
Thoughts, comments?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9710

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9710>

[2] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1864