cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Haijiao <18602198...@163.com>
Subject Re:Re: 4.8, 4.9, and master Testing Status
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 08:32:06 GMT
Though I am one of the silent majority, I would thank John the dev team for your continuous
effort, you keep ACS alive and better !

Just heard one of biggest finance company in China running 10,000+ VMs on ACS 4.4 for production/dev/QAS,
 you guys should be proud of that.
Salute to you!

在2016年10月05 03时09分, "ilya"<ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com>写道:

John and Team

Thanks for amazing work and contributing back.

Regards,
ilya

On 10/3/16 9:48 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> All,
>
> A quick update on our progress to pass all smoke tests aka super green.  We have reduced
the failures and errors for XenServer from 93 to 9 and for VMware from 51 to 14.  A CentOS
6/CentOS 6 KVM run is currently executing.  Based on manual tests/fixes, we are expecting
to be the first super green configuration.  We have also found the following additional defects:

>   * CLOUDSTACK-9528 [2]: SSVM Downloads (built-in) Template Multiple Times
>   * CLOUDSTACK-9529 [3]: Marvin Tests Do Not Clean Up Properly
>
> 9528 is causing XenServer environments to fail to install and startup cleanly.  A lack
of cleanup described in 9529 is causing XenServer to exhaust available resources before a
test run completes.  We believe that resolution of these issues will address most, if not
all, of the XenServer issues.

> Thanks,
> -John
>
> [1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65873020
> [2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9528
> [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9529
>

> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
> @shapeblue
>

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 2:40 AM, John Burwell <john.burwell@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Using blueorganutan, Rohit, Murali, Boris, Paul, Abhi, and I are executing the smoke
tests for the 4.8, 4.9, and master branches against the following environments:

>>     * CentOS 7.2 Management Server + VMware 5.5u3 + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage
>>     * CentOS 7.2 Management Server + XenServer 6.5SP1 + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage
>>     * CentOS 7.2 Management Server + CentOS 7.2 KVM + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage
>>
>> Thus far, we have found seven (7) test case and/or CloudStack defects in the VMware
run for the 4.8 branch [1].  We are currently triaging fifty-one (51) new issues from the
XenServer run to determine which issues were environmental and defects.  This triage work
should be completed today (30 Sept 2016).  Finally, we are awaiting the results of the KVM
run.

>> We are using PR #1692 [2] as the master tracking PR to fix all defects in the 4.8
branch.  Our goal is to get all non-skip tests to pass and then merge this PR to the 4.8,
4.9, and master.  For each bug, we are creating a JIRA ticket and adding a commit to the PR.
 Currently, the branch for this PR is in the shapeblue repo (the branch started with a much
smaller fix from Paul and we just kept using it).  However, if others are interested in picking
up defects, we will move it to ASF repo.  Once the 4.8 branch is stabilized, we plan to re-execute
these tests on the 4.9 and master branches as we expect that the 4.9 and master branches will
have additional issues.

>> Since we are in a test freeze, I propose that no further PRs are merged to the 4.8,
4.9, and master branches until they are stabilized.  The following PRs will be re-based, re-tested,
and merged to 4.8, 4.9.1.0, and/or 4.10.0.0 post-stabilization:

>>     * 1696
>>     * 1694
>>     * 1684
>>      * 1681
>>     * 1680
>>     * 1678
>>     * 1677
>>     * 1676
>>     * 1674
>>     * 1673
>>     * 1642
>>     * 1624
>>     * 1615
>>     * 1600
>>     * 1545
>>     * 1542
>>
>> I recognize that this a large backlog of contributions ready to merge, and apologize
for asking folks to wait.  However, given current state of the release branches, merging them
before we complete fixing the smoke tests would create a moving target that further delay
stabilization.

>> Obviously, it is unlikely we will make the 10 October 2016 release date for the 4.8.2.0,
4.9.1.0, and 4.10.0.0 releases.  At this point, it is difficult to estimate the size of the
schedule slip because we still have issues to triage and test runs to complete.  I have created
a wiki page [2] to track progress on this effort.

>> Does this approach sound reasonable?  Any suggestions to speed up this process will
be greatly appreciated as stabilizing and re-opening these branches stable ASAP is critical
for the community.