cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: IPv6 in Basic Networking progress
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2016 10:38:44 GMT
I've submitted the code as a PR for the master branch: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1700

> Op 3 oktober 2016 om 20:43 schreef Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>:
>

> Hi,
>
> One of the things I'm really missing in CloudStack currently is IPv6 support in Basic
Networking. Why? Our cloud at PCextreme runs on CloudStack with Basic Networking and we currently
do have IPv6 support, but without the knowledge of CloudStack.

today. With result!: https://github.com/wido/cloudstack/commits/ipv6-basic-networking

> The 'nics' table already has the ip6_address column and the API will return this value
when it is set. So what I did is modify the DirectPodBasedNetworkGuru that it calculates the
EUI-64 IPv6 address a Instance will obtain using SLAAC.

> In the network you have to make sure the routers (not the VR, physical ones!) are sending
our Router Advertisements with the same subnet as you configured in CloudStack.

> The code is actually very simple and it 'works': https://widodh.o.auroraobjects.eu/cloudstack/ipv6-basic-networking-instance.png
>
> The CloudStack code is very, very IPv4 orientated and has many flaws. It passes IP-Addresses
as Strings and such while native types like InetAddress might be better, but that would be
a major refactor which will consume a lot of time. And honestly, I don't have the time.

> As stated above our goals are currently simple. The API should return a IPv6 Address
so that after deployment anything consuming the API can instantly connect to the Instance
over IPv6.