cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Replacing the VR
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:35:38 GMT
Will,

I agree that we need to replace the VR, but I am not convinced that continuing with the notion
of a monolithic application model is a best direction.  The problem with the current model
is that it lacks flexibility.  Some users only need to deploy DHCP and DNS across a zone where
others need a much wider range of services at the pod or cluster level.  With the monolithic
appliance, we are forced to build to the lowest common denominator.

I would like to see the VR’s functions disambiguated likely into containers (Zones/LXC-style
rather than requiring the Docker/rkt runtime).  With this subdivision, we could then adopt
the service chain model and allow users to compose networks services to better fit their use
cases.

My thinking is that if we are going to through the (continuing) pain of another VR replacement,
we should take the opportunity to re-evaluate the entire model.

Thanks,
-John

john.burwell@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue