cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject 4.8, 4.9, and master Testing Status
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 06:40:42 GMT
All,

Using blueorganutan, Rohit, Murali, Boris, Paul, Abhi, and I are executing the smoke tests
for the 4.8, 4.9, and master branches against the following environments:

	* CentOS 7.2 Management Server + VMware 5.5u3 + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage
	* CentOS 7.2 Management Server + XenServer 6.5SP1 + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage
	* CentOS 7.2 Management Server + CentOS 7.2 KVM + NFS Primary/Secondary Storage

Thus far, we have found seven (7) test case and/or CloudStack defects in the VMware run for
the 4.8 branch [1].  We are currently triaging fifty-one (51) new issues from the XenServer
run to determine which issues were environmental and defects.  This triage work should be
completed today (30 Sept 2016).  Finally, we are awaiting the results of the KVM run.  

We are using PR #1692 [2] as the master tracking PR to fix all defects in the 4.8 branch.
 Our goal is to get all non-skip tests to pass and then merge this PR to the 4.8, 4.9, and
master.  For each bug, we are creating a JIRA ticket and adding a commit to the PR.  Currently,
the branch for this PR is in the shapeblue repo (the branch started with a much smaller fix
from Paul and we just kept using it).  However, if others are interested in picking up defects,
we will move it to ASF repo.  Once the 4.8 branch is stabilized, we plan to re-execute these
tests on the 4.9 and master branches as we expect that the 4.9 and master branches will have
additional issues.

Since we are in a test freeze, I propose that no further PRs are merged to the 4.8, 4.9, and
master branches until they are stabilized.  The following PRs will be re-based, re-tested,
and merged to 4.8, 4.9.1.0, and/or 4.10.0.0 post-stabilization:

	* 1696
	* 1694
	* 1684
  	* 1681
	* 1680
	* 1678
	* 1677
	* 1676
	* 1674
	* 1673
	* 1642
	* 1624
	* 1615
	* 1600
	* 1545
	* 1542

I recognize that this a large backlog of contributions ready to merge, and apologize for asking
folks to wait.  However, given current state of the release branches, merging them before
we complete fixing the smoke tests would create a moving target that further delay stabilization.
 

Obviously, it is unlikely we will make the 10 October 2016 release date for the 4.8.2.0, 4.9.1.0,
and 4.10.0.0 releases.  At this point, it is difficult to estimate the size of the schedule
slip because we still have issues to triage and test runs to complete.  I have created a wiki
page [2] to track progress on this effort.  

Does this approach sound reasonable?  Any suggestions to speed up this process will be greatly
appreciated as stabilizing and re-opening these branches stable ASAP is critical for the community.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-9518?jql=project%20%3D%20CLOUDSTACK%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20(4.8.2.0)%20AND%20labels%20in%20(4.8.2.0-smoke-test-failure)
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=65873020

> On Sep 26, 2016, at 8:38 AM, Will Stevens <wstevens@cloudops.com> wrote:
> 
> Yes, I think it is important that you or Rajani sign off on anything that
> gets in while branches are frozen so you guys can stay on top of what goes
> in.
> 
> Thanks for all the hard work team.  :)
> 
> *Will STEVENS*
> Lead Developer
> 
> *CloudOps* *| *Cloud Solutions Experts
> 420 rue Guy *|* Montreal *|* Quebec *|* H3J 1S6
> w cloudops.com *|* tw @CloudOps_
> 
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM, John Burwell <john.burwell@shapeblue.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> All,
>> 
>> Per our release schedule [1], the 4.8, 4.9, and master branches are frozen
>> for testing.  There are some straggling PRs that Rajani and I are working
>> to merge.  Is it acceptable to everyone that for the next two (2) weeks,
>> all PRs require not only 2 LGTMs, but approval by Rajani or I to be merged
>> to these branches?  To be clear, we don’t have to perform the merges,
>> simply give a thumbs up.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> -John
>> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
>> www.shapeblue.com
>> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
>> @shapeblue
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 


john.burwell@shapeblue.com 
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue
  
 

Mime
View raw message