cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2016 16:17:10 GMT
I think 4.9 brings some new features, enhancements and improvements that people would appreciate
in a LTS release. Many of them cannot be simply backported and 2 weeks will be far shorter
to identify, backport and regression-test all those changes.

From my personal experience, I've done a lot of backporting in 4.3, then did maintenance work
in 4.5. I think it's still worth it to wait for few weeks to get 4.9.0 out of the door and
have LTS based on 4.9.0 release.

If Will is not able to find time to work on 4.9 release, maybe someone else can takeover and
help with the 4.9 release by 15th July (at least get some RCs up for testing and voting)?
LTS can be 4.9.1 etc.

Regards.

________________________________
From: Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>
Sent: 04 July 2016 15:32:45
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org; John Burwell
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar

> Op 4 juli 2016 om 6:57 schreef John Burwell <john.burwell@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All,
>
> Following up on a our discussions about LTS [1], post 4.9 releases [2], and 5.0.0/6.0.0
[3], I have assembled a release plan for the next 18-20 months in the wiki [4].  My original
proposal assumed by that 4.9 would be released by 1 July.  I have adjusted the timelines assuming
that we will complete the release by 15 July.  My thinking is that the number of defect fixes
present in 4.9 and 4.8.1 would require more than 2 weeks of work to backport to a 4.8-based
LTS.  Therefore, I have shifted the LTS cutoff dates from 1 Jan and 1 July to 15 Jan and 15
July.

> Once we gain consensus on the release cycle and calendar, I will cleanup the wiki to
move completed release plans to an archive area and remove obsolete release process documentation.

Looks good to me. It's time that 4.9 is released and shifting to July 15th looks good.

Overall your release schedule proposal looks good to me, so I'd say +1 on the proposal.

Wido

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue