cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 16:14:03 GMT
Wido, sorry if that confused you. I meant to say what John has explained.

If we can at least get the RC voting started/concluded by 15 July, I think we can cut a 4.9
based LTS.

Regards.

________________________________

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

From: John Burwell
Sent: 06 July 2016 00:46:09
To: Wido den Hollander
Cc: Rohit Yadav; dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar

Wido,

I don’t think that Rohit is advocating expanding the 4.9.0 scope.  Instead, he is saying
that proceeding with LTS on 4.8.0.1 would be counterproductive.  4.8.0 was released in January
meaning that 4.9 will contain nearly 6 months of defect fixes and enhancements.  Had we cut
LTS last Friday, we would have faced the choice of attempting to backport all of the defect
changes from master to LTS or simply not including them.  Therefore, I think we all agree
that we should release 4.9.0.0 as soon as possible.  My hope is that we can complete testing
and RC voting by 15 July 2016 in order to cut LTS and move forward with the development of
4.10.0.0.  Am I correct in my understanding Rohit and your thoughts regarding 4.9?

Thanks,
-John

john.burwell@shapeblue.com

On Jul 5, 2016, at 5:25 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

>> Op 4 juli 2016 om 18:17 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
>>

>> I think 4.9 brings some new features, enhancements and improvements that people would
appreciate in a LTS release. Many of them cannot be simply backported and 2 weeks will be
far shorter to identify, backport and regression-test all those changes.

> But that way we keep finding reasons to delay 4.9 and make that the LTS. 4.10 afterwards
will have other cool features, etc. That will stay.

>> From my personal experience, I've done a lot of backporting in 4.3, then did maintenance
work in 4.5. I think it's still worth it to wait for few weeks to get 4.9.0 out of the door
and have LTS based on 4.9.0 release.

>> If Will is not able to find time to work on 4.9 release, maybe someone else can takeover
and help with the 4.9 release by 15th July (at least get some RCs up for testing and voting)?
LTS can be 4.9.1 etc.

>> Regards.
>>
>> ________________________________

[3], I have assembled a release plan for the next 18-20 months in the wiki [4].  My original
proposal assumed by that 4.9 would be released by 1 July.  I have adjusted the timelines assuming
that we will complete the release by 15 July.  My thinking is that the number of defect fixes
present in 4.9 and 4.8.1 would require more than 2 weeks of work to backport to a 4.8-based
LTS.  Therefore, I have shifted the LTS cutoff dates from 1 Jan and 1 July to 15 Jan and 15
July.

>>> Once we gain consensus on the release cycle and calendar, I will cleanup the
wiki to move completed release plans to an archive area and remove obsolete release process
documentation.

>>> www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>