cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Split Marvin to its own repository
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:06:51 GMT
Would it make sense to have tests include cloudstack versions along with 'other' requirements
in their meta-data, so that they don't *have* to be tied to a branch.

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Yadav [mailto:bhaisaab@apache.org]
Sent: 18 July 2016 10:44
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] Split Marvin to its own repository

All,

Based on a recent discussion thread [1], I want to start a voting thread to gather consensus
around splitting Marvin from the CloudStack repository.

On successful voting, we would extract and maintain Marvin as a separate library in a separate
repository (example repository [2]) and various build/test systems such as Travis [3] can
install it directly for usage with pip+git etc.

Background: During the build process, a commands.xml generated to build apidocs is also used
to generate CloudStack Cmd and Request classes are auto-generated, which is the only dependency
why we needed Marvin and CloudStack together. The auto-generated cloudstackAPI module can
be also generated against a live running CloudStack mgmt server which has api discovery (listApis)
enabled. The integration tests will still be tied to a branch and will remain withing the
repository. A PR [3] was sent to show that we can still execute tests using this approach,
and this would finally allow us to build, release and use Marvin as an independent library.

Vote will be open for 72 hours.

For sanity in tallying the vote, can PMC members please be sure to indicate "(binding)" with
their vote?

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)