cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Split Marvin to its own repository
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 16:31:45 GMT

> Op 28 juni 2016 om 13:40 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All,
>

> I've made few changes which allows for a standalone Marvin. We currently have Marvin
in the CloudStack repository because of the 'cloudstackAPI' code generation that is done during
build time. Marvin allows 'cloudstackAPI' to be generated at runtime if a URL end-point is
provided.

> Some of the known build/test environments such as Travis, Trillian (upcoming) [1], bubble
[2] etc. have Marvin dependency that is tied to the repository/branch. By splitting Marvin
apart, build/test environments such as Trillian can simply get Marvin, generate cloudstackAPI
against a running mgmt server and then run Marvin based tests. This is useful as Trillian,
bubble etc perform tests on CloudStack packages (rpm/deb) instead of the maven.

> The only cons of this approach is that Marvin library (if split) will need to be backward
compatible wrt tests and CloudStack versions, and looking at the core Marvin library history
it seems Marvin from latest-master branch is backward compatible to at least 4.5.2 (tested
today). (Note: integration tests may be still tied to branch/version).

> As an experiment, in the following PR the marvin library is not installed from the maven
build but rather after CloudStack mgmt server runs, we use the Marvin codegenerator to generate
`cloudstackAPI` from the API end-point (unauthenticated, on port 8096): https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1599

> As an example, here is the marvin library with git history use-able as a separate repository:
github.com/rhtyd/marvin

> Thoughts, comments?

I would say it's a good thing. This way you can also have PRs for Marvin go through a different
review then the primary CloudStack code.

I'd say +1 for splitting it into it's own repo.

Wido

> Regards.
>

> [1] https://github.com/shapeblue/Trillian
>
> [2] https://github.com/MissionCriticalCloud/bubble-toolkit
>
> [https://avatars3.githubusercontent.com/u/16591787?v=3&s=400]<https://github.com/MissionCriticalCloud/bubble-toolkit>
>
> GitHub - MissionCriticalCloud/bubble-toolkit: Shared repo ...<https://github.com/MissionCriticalCloud/bubble-toolkit>
> github.com
> README.md Bubble Toolkit. This repository contains all tools used with so-called Bubbles.
To setup a Bubble, follow the instructions here. This repo is available om ...