cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [Feature Request] VM Snapshot based on KVM+Ceph
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 07:15:12 GMT

> Op 12 juli 2016 om 5:58 schreef Paul Shadwell <paul@shadwell.ch>:
>

> This is a feature that has been missing from Cloudstack since the beginning when using
KVM as the hypervisor.
> It's been asked for many times but still no support.
> This would be a huge plus for Cloudstack if this feature was added and make it a much
more viable product for end users.
> KVM is usually chosen because 1: it's free 2: it has many features that make it a much
better choice for large installations.
> Many have ended up either writing their own VM snapshot solution, or simply hiding the
icon from the customer.
> I'm surprised that after years of waiting for this feature to be added, it's still missing.

> I know it's not totally the Cloudstack Dev team's fault that VM Snapshots are missing
from KVM support but I do think this is a list opportunity for a big win if they did something
about it.

> Just my 2 penneth on this subject that has plagued me on a daily basis supporting Cloudstack
installs.

The problem is that KVM ONLY supports full VM snapshots with QCOW2 and not with RBD. You have
to store the memory contents somewhere and only QCOW2 supports it.

An true, it's a lack of time. A lot of stuff needs to be done.

Wido