cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Feature Request] VM Snapshot based on KVM+Ceph
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:44:26 GMT
Hi Paul

Are you talking about Ceph + KVM snapshot or non Ceph filesystem using
qemu/libvirtd?

KVM Snapshot with non-ceph using qemu/libvirtd apis will be released in
upcoming versions. We have a code written for it - but to release it to
open source community takes a bit of time and might need a rewrite.

Regards
ilya

On 7/11/16 8:58 PM, Paul Shadwell wrote:
> This is a feature that has been missing from Cloudstack since the beginning when using
KVM as the hypervisor.
> It's been asked for many times but still no support.
> This would be a huge plus for Cloudstack if this feature was added and make it a much
more viable product for end users.
> KVM is usually chosen because 1: it's free 2: it has many features that make it a much
better choice for large installations.
> Many have ended up either writing their own VM snapshot solution, or simply hiding the
icon from the customer.
> I'm surprised that after years of waiting for this feature to be added, it's still missing.

> I know it's not totally the Cloudstack Dev team's fault that VM Snapshots are missing
from KVM support but I do think this is a list opportunity for a big win if they did something
about it.