cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 09:25:04 GMT

> Op 4 juli 2016 om 18:17 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
>

> I think 4.9 brings some new features, enhancements and improvements that people would
appreciate in a LTS release. Many of them cannot be simply backported and 2 weeks will be
far shorter to identify, backport and regression-test all those changes.

But that way we keep finding reasons to delay 4.9 and make that the LTS. 4.10 afterwards will
have other cool features, etc. That will stay.

> From my personal experience, I've done a lot of backporting in 4.3, then did maintenance
work in 4.5. I think it's still worth it to wait for few weeks to get 4.9.0 out of the door
and have LTS based on 4.9.0 release.

> If Will is not able to find time to work on 4.9 release, maybe someone else can takeover
and help with the 4.9 release by 15th July (at least get some RCs up for testing and voting)?
LTS can be 4.9.1 etc.

> Regards.

[3], I have assembled a release plan for the next 18-20 months in the wiki [4].  My original
proposal assumed by that 4.9 would be released by 1 July.  I have adjusted the timelines assuming
that we will complete the release by 15 July.  My thinking is that the number of defect fixes
present in 4.9 and 4.8.1 would require more than 2 weeks of work to backport to a 4.8-based
LTS.  Therefore, I have shifted the LTS cutoff dates from 1 Jan and 1 July to 15 Jan and 15
July.

> > Once we gain consensus on the release cycle and calendar, I will cleanup the wiki
to move completed release plans to an archive area and remove obsolete release process documentation.