cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] 2016-2017 Release Cycle and Calendar
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 08:41:58 GMT

> Op 5 juli 2016 om 21:16 schreef John Burwell <john.burwell@shapeblue.com>:
>

> Wido,
>
> I don’t think that Rohit is advocating expanding the 4.9.0 scope.  Instead, he is saying
that proceeding with LTS on 4.8.0.1 would be counterproductive.  4.8.0 was released in January
meaning that 4.9 will contain nearly 6 months of defect fixes and enhancements.  Had we cut
LTS last Friday, we would have faced the choice of attempting to backport all of the defect
changes from master to LTS or simply not including them.  Therefore, I think we all agree
that we should release 4.9.0.0 as soon as possible.  My hope is that we can complete testing
and RC voting by 15 July 2016 in order to cut LTS and move forward with the development of
4.10.0.0.  Am I correct in my understanding Rohit and your thoughts regarding 4.9?

Ah, yes, I understand. I think I understand Rohit wrongly, thanks for explaining.

Your timeline seems good to me.

Wido

> Thanks,
> -John
>

> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
> @shapeblue
>

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 5:25 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> >

> >> Op 4 juli 2016 om 18:17 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
> >>

> >> I think 4.9 brings some new features, enhancements and improvements that people
would appreciate in a LTS release. Many of them cannot be simply backported and 2 weeks will
be far shorter to identify, backport and regression-test all those changes.

> > But that way we keep finding reasons to delay 4.9 and make that the LTS. 4.10 afterwards
will have other cool features, etc. That will stay.

> >> From my personal experience, I've done a lot of backporting in 4.3, then did
maintenance work in 4.5. I think it's still worth it to wait for few weeks to get 4.9.0 out
of the door and have LTS based on 4.9.0 release.

> >> If Will is not able to find time to work on 4.9 release, maybe someone else
can takeover and help with the 4.9 release by 15th July (at least get some RCs up for testing
and voting)? LTS can be 4.9.1 etc.

> >> Regards.

and 5.0.0/6.0.0 [3], I have assembled a release plan for the next 18-20 months in the wiki
[4].  My original proposal assumed by that 4.9 would be released by 1 July.  I have adjusted
the timelines assuming that we will complete the release by 15 July.  My thinking is that
the number of defect fixes present in 4.9 and 4.8.1 would require more than 2 weeks of work
to backport to a 4.8-based LTS.  Therefore, I have shifted the LTS cutoff dates from 1 Jan
and 1 July to 15 Jan and 15 July.

the wiki to move completed release plans to an archive area and remove obsolete release process
documentation.