cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: 4.9+ release
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 21:44:11 GMT
All,

Completely agree with Daan.  Per semantic versioning, a major revision increase must introduce
a backwards incompatible change in the public API, removal of one of more supported devices,
reduction in the list of supported distributions.  I agree that when we require Java8+, drop
Ubuntu 12.04 support, drop support for an old hypervisor version, etc,  we will need to increment
the major revision to reflect the fact that the release is not backwards compatible.

For 4.10 and LTS 4.9.0_1, I see it as critical that we support running on either Java7 or
Java8.  In particular, producing an LTS release that only supports a JVM that has been unsupported
for nearly 18 months would make it DOA in many shops.

It seems like it would make sense to have a 5.0.0 release that removed support for a number
of legacy components (e.g. Xen 6.0 possibly 6.2, Java7, CentOS 5, etc), as well as, internal
improvements (e.g. simplified configuration).  The focus of this release would be to reduce
the footprint of codebase, as well as, make a set of backwards incompatible changes that further
decouples plugins from core.  We would then plan for a 6.0.0 in 4Q2017 to introduce further
architectural changes and API revisions.  The advantage to this approach is that it breaks
up the large refactorings and architectural design changes — allowing us to gain velocity
by removing legacy components, reducing the risk of these changes, and providing user benefit
earlier.  Based on the release plan I previously proposed we have the following releases remaining
in 2016 and in early 2017:

* 4.10 releasing on or about 28 August 2016
* 4.11 releasing on or about 23 October 2016
* 4.12 releasing on or about 18 December 2016
* 4.13 release on or about 5 February 2017

4.12 seems to be the sweet spot in the schedule to cut the 5.0.0 release described above.
 It would give us sometime to plan and gain consensus around the changes in both the user
and dev communities.  It would also allow the second LTS release to be based on 5.0.0 —
allowing both release cycles to take advantage of the reduced support requirements and Java8
language features. Based on this proposal, the releases above would change to the following:

* 4.10 releasing on or about 28 August 2016
* 4.11 releasing on or about 23 October 2016
* 5.0.0 releasing on or about 18 December 2016
* 5.1.0 release on or about 5 February 2017

I am in the process of moving my proposal into the wiki.  If this approach is acceptable,
I will reflect it there, and open a thread to discuss 5.0.0.

Thanks,
-John

john.burwell@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue

On Jun 14, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> +1 Daan.
>
> My recollection was that major version number changes were only to be triggered by breaks
in backward compatibility (API).