cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Linas Žilinskas <li...@host1plus.com>
Subject how to go about codebase quality when colisions occur?
Date Tue, 03 May 2016 12:36:59 GMT
Hello.

I implemented a new API call for myself, which returns the VNC url for a VM.
Currently i'm using some classes from the consoleproxy servlet package as well as copied some
code over to my own package/class (specifically the encryption stuff)
Now i have questions regarding this way of doing things.

I'm all about isolation and making stuff portable as much as possible. To me the consoleproxy
seems like a semi-standalone project. Therefore it doesn't seem nice to be using packages/classes
willy nilly across other packages.

So should i split the reusable code into a separate package and store it somewhere in the
shared codebase, or should i just duplicate code. I saw that the servlet itself has a copied
over class from the standalone consoleproxy project.

Or maybe there's some way of implementing the api calls into the consoleproxy project itself?

PS. This is my first java project ever, so i'm learning as i go through the code. So bear
with me if the language i use seems off

Regards

Linas Žilinskas

Development Lead

[http://host1plus.com/images/h1p_e_sig/sig_logo.png]<http://www.host1plus.com/>

website<http://www.host1plus.com/>

facebook<https://www.facebook.com/Host1Plus>

twitter<https://twitter.com/Host1Plus>

linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/digital-energy-technologies-ltd.>

Phone: +44 870 8200222

Fax: +44 870 8200222

Host1Plus is a division of Digital Energy Technologies Ltd.

26 York Street, London W1U 6PZ, United Kingdom