cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Java8
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 19:10:48 GMT
I am in favor of Java 8, but it means we would drop Ubuntu 14.04 support.

That would make life a bit easier though, since Ubuntu 16.04 has systemd and 14.04 still has
sysvinit and that make packaging a problem.

> Op 13 mei 2016 om 19:10 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All,
>

> I've started some work [pr] that aims to adapt CloudStack to recent changes in the environments
and the ecosystem:

> - Java8, Spring 4.x
>
> - SystemD
>
> - MariaDB and MySQL
>
> - Reduce distro provided package dependency
>
> - Packaging, CI and testing
>

> These are long term goals but I've identified some concrete goals:
>

> - Migrate to Java8 both for building codebase and running CloudStack (mgmt server, usage,
agent etc)

> - Migrate to Spring 4.x as 3.x is not supported to work with Java7
>
> - Fix CI and packaging to use Java8
>
> - Reduce distro specific package dependency such as Tomcat, since we're already using
Jetty (maven-jetty-plugin) during development we can use embedded Jetty for mgmt server(s)
as well

> - Update systemvm template to include Java8 JRE
>
> - Update packaging to support systemd (CentOS7+ has some systemd support and thanks to
Wido's recent PR we would have systemd support for debian packages in future too)

> - Optimize JVM options for long running mgmt server(s), agent(s) and usage server(s)
to run on JRE8

> I've sent a [pr] to show some initial progress in this regard where we've some outstanding
issues but we're able to build/run/test with Java8 + Spring 4.x and TravisCI has been fixed
to use JDK8 as well.

> Testing in general would be a huge requirement for this initiative, especially testing
of all the plugins. Java7 has EOL-ed and Java9 is around the corner; we've seen good amount
of security and memory issues with Java7/6 and Tomcat6.x; therefore it seems necessary to
work on above as we move towards a LTS release in upcoming months.