cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Java8
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 23:51:38 GMT
Sorry. You misunderstood my comment.

I was noting that users who want to run ACS which requires Java 8 could
also run applications that can not run on Java 8 (although I have never
heard of an application that would not run with the Java 8 JRE) by
running both jre7 and jre8.

Of course once you convert to Java 8 with the changes (streams and
consolidation of interfaces and abstract classes) that I suggested in my
earlier posting, it will require the Java 8 jre.

Ron

On 13/05/2016 5:17 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Upon upgrade, we will start using features and runtime classes/methods introduced with
Java8.  Therefore, it will become mandatory upgrade from Java7 to Java8 when adopting the
release with these changes.

> Thanks,
> -John
>
> Regards,
>
> John Burwell
>
> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
> @shapeblue
> On May 13, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>> It would seem that a major version would be appropriate.
>>
>> I am not sure why someone could not use both Java 8 and Java 7.
>>
>> I have Java 3 versions 6, 7, and 8 available on my Windows 7 PC.
>>
>> I would have thought that Linux would be at least that flexible.
>> Is it really not possible to run Java 8 on Ubuntu 14.04?
>>
>> http://tecadmin.net/install-oracle-java-8-jdk-8-ubuntu-via-ppa/ suggests that it
can be run on versions as old as 10.04