cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Dag Sonstebo <Dag.Sonst...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [Discuss] CloudStack documentation
Date Thu, 19 May 2016 10:54:35 GMT
All,

since we've added CloudStack documentation to the discussion topics for the Montreal meetup
I wanted to gauge peoples opinion on areas of improvement.

Personally I would like to see the following:

  1.  Overall documentation navigation needs to be improved.
  2.  Ideally all documentation should be under a single documentation tree with a single
table of contents. All content should be searchable without having to visit each of the current
documentation roots separately (Getting Started / Installation Guide / Admin Guide / Release
Notes).
  3.  Advanced topics should be moved away from the "Getting Started Docs". The people reading
the getting started / concepts sections are typically new CloudStack users  who will easily
be put off by immediately being presented with advanced topics.
  4.  API documentation to be a chapter of the Developers guide.
  5.  Upgrade instructions to be moved from the release notes to the installation guide.
  6.  Compatibility matrix in single location only – i.e. not in both the release notes
and installation guide as this has caused discrepancies in the past.

I appreciate we are also working against multiple Github repositories which complicates things
slightly, but if we can overall improve the end user experience this is worth the effort.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com