cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mike.Tutkow...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: Variable renaming in classes meant for Agents
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 04:53:23 GMT
Thanks for sending out this e-mail, Anshul.

This is a bit of a strange situation because we need to make sure people are either aware
of the fact that properties in Command classes are serialized (and not change existing variable
names) or come up with a less fragile way of choosing property names when sending data (perhaps
using annotations).

At the very least, we should have comments in these classes indicating the dangers of changing
property names. It might also be beneficial to have unit tests in place that expect certain
variable names and assert if they are not as expected.

In the meanwhile, I plan to change the variable names back that were changed in PR #816.

Additional thoughts on how this should be addressed long term?

Thanks!
Mike
From: Anshul Gangwar <anshul.gangwar@accelerite.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:47 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Variable renaming in classes meant for Agents

Hi,

We should not allow renaming of variables in classes which ends with Command and TO. As these
objects are meant to be consumed by Agents.

Agents may not be written in java so relying on these variable names to get the info. One
such example is Hyper-V agent.

Hyper-V support is currently broken as there are some variables renamed in PR https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/816.

Regards,
Anshul