cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Java8
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 23:56:47 GMT

All my code is compiled with Java 8.

I have not had any problem since I moved my stuff to Java 8 with Spring
3 but I may just be lucky.

I am not sure how much of a change to code or configurations is required
to upgrade to Spring 4 so it may not be a big deal to do both upgrades
in one release.

Ron

On 13/05/2016 5:26 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> Ron,
>
> According to Spring's documentation, Spring 3 only supports running byte code compiled
for 1.7 on a Java8 VM [1].  Spring 4 is the first release to support byte code compiled to
1.8 running on a Java8 VM.

> Our experience with CloudStack 4.5 and master on Java8 has been that it runs, but within
36-48 hangs or abends.  Therefore, the first step to getting a stable build on JDK8 is to
ensure that all our dependencies support it.

> Thanks,
> -John
>
> [1]: https://spring.io/blog/2013/05/21/spring-framework-4-0-m1-3-2-3-available/
>
> Regards,
>
> John Burwell
>
> john.burwell@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
> @shapeblue
> On May 13, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>> I am not sure what you are using in Spring but I have been using Spring 3.x.x with
Java 8 for some time.

>> I can believe that Spring 4 is "better" than Spring 3 but you might see if you can
separate these two technology upgrades just to keep it simple.
>> There is enough in Java 8 to make a pretty big project if you just look at Streams
and refactoring interfaces and abstract classes to reduce the amount of code.

>> Just a comment from the cheap seats.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>>> On 13/05/2016 1:10 PM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>>> All,
>>>

>>> I've started some work [pr] that aims to adapt CloudStack to recent changes in
the environments and the ecosystem:

>>> - Java8, Spring 4.x
>>>
>>> - SystemD
>>>
>>> - MariaDB and MySQL
>>>
>>> - Reduce distro provided package dependency
>>>
>>> - Packaging, CI and testing
>>>

>>> These are long term goals but I've identified some concrete goals:
>>>

>>> - Migrate to Java8 both for building codebase and running CloudStack (mgmt server,
usage, agent etc)

>>> - Migrate to Spring 4.x as 3.x is not supported to work with Java7
>>>
>>> - Fix CI and packaging to use Java8
>>>
>>> - Reduce distro specific package dependency such as Tomcat, since we're already
using Jetty (maven-jetty-plugin) during development we can use embedded Jetty for mgmt server(s)
as well

>>> - Update systemvm template to include Java8 JRE
>>>
>>> - Update packaging to support systemd (CentOS7+ has some systemd support and
thanks to Wido's recent PR we would have systemd support for debian packages in future too)

>>> - Optimize JVM options for long running mgmt server(s), agent(s) and usage server(s)
to run on JRE8

>>> I've sent a [pr] to show some initial progress in this regard where we've some
outstanding issues but we're able to build/run/test with Java8 + Spring 4.x and TravisCI has
been fixed to use JDK8 as well.

>>> Testing in general would be a huge requirement for this initiative, especially
testing of all the plugins. Java7 has EOL-ed and Java9 is around the corner; we've seen good
amount of security and memory issues with Java7/6 and Tomcat6.x; therefore it seems necessary
to work on above as we move towards a LTS release in upcoming months.

>>> www.shapeblue.com