cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject [discuss] CloudStack logging
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2016 12:49:44 GMT
Hi All

I think that we can all agree that CloudStack logs are very difficult to read, especially
for operational staff.

I believe that the primary reason for this is that a large amount of what should be INFO level
events are categorised as DEBUG.  The logging therefore must be set at DEBUG for the logs
to capture these events.  By defaulting the logging to DEBUG we include a lot of detail which
is counter-productive when using the logs to diagnose operational issues.

I think the situation can be greatly improved by reviewing the categorisation of logged events
and where necessary re-categorise then such that INFO, WARN and ERROR logging would be sufficient
for an 'operational' admin.

I think a phased approach where the default logging level remains at DEBUG while re-categorisation
occurs would mean that nothing materially changes until we are happy with the categorisations.
Then we can default the logging level to INFO.

Thoughts everyone?

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

Regards,