cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Building Ubuntu 16.04 packages
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 12:19:30 GMT
Hi Wido,

Thanks for starting this discussion. I'm not sure exactly how to do it either, but I suppose
we can exploit post installation step to write custom scripts that setup initd or systemd
scripts at suitable locations. For this we include both init/systemd scripts in the package
(let say at some location like /usr/share/... and let post install script pick up the template
and setup inid scripts). This way I think we can explore if there is a way to solve for building
universal deb package.

Regards.

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

-----Original Message-----
From: Wido den Hollander [mailto:wido@widodh.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:40 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Building Ubuntu 16.04 packages

Hi,

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was released about a week ago and I want to start on packages.

The cool things about the LTS:
- systemd
- Java 8
- libvirt 1.3.1
- Qemu 2.5

I'm familiar with building DEB packages, but there is something which I don't know how to
fix yet.

We want to build packages for Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04, but the first still uses Upstart
/ sysvinit and the newest uses systemd.

We already have systemd service files in 'packaging/systemd', so that is no the problem.

I however don't know how to build packages for 14.04 (Trusty) and 16.04 (Xenial) using dpkg-buildpackage.

I see other projects use tools like pbuilder [0], but I don't know how that exactly works.

Before I put a lot of effort in this: Does anybody know how to build packages for different
Ubuntu versions?

Eventually we will end up with packages like:

- cloudstack-agent-XXX~trusty.deb
- cloudstack-agent-XXX~xenial.deb

Thanks,

Wido