cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject RE: Building Ubuntu 16.04 packages
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2016 15:26:54 GMT

> Op 27 april 2016 om 19:38 schreef Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>:
>

> > Op 27 april 2016 om 14:19 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>:
> >

> > Hi Wido,
> >
> > Thanks for starting this discussion. I'm not sure exactly how to do it either, but
I suppose we can exploit post installation step to write custom scripts that setup initd or
systemd scripts at suitable locations. For this we include both init/systemd scripts in the
package (let say at some location like /usr/share/... and let post install script pick up
the template and setup inid scripts). This way I think we can explore if there is a way to
solve for building universal deb package.

> No, a postinst file is not the way to go, that I am sure of.
>
> I'm looking at the Ceph project and how they build their packages. They have the same
issue. I haven't figured it out completely, but they are not doing this in the postinst or
so.

> You should never do that either since dpkg should always know which files it created
when installing a package.

Working on the packaging: https://github.com/wido/cloudstack/commits/systemd-ubuntu1604

Learning from other projects like Ceph how have seem to have figured this out. It's all WIP.

The management server also has to go systemd for example.

Wido

> Wido
>
> > Regards.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rohit Yadav
> >
> > rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
> > www.shapeblue.com
> > 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London  WC2N 4HSUK
> > @shapeblue

uses Upstart / sysvinit and the newest uses systemd.

> > We already have systemd service files in 'packaging/systemd', so that is no the
problem.

> > I however don't know how to build packages for 14.04 (Trusty) and 16.04 (Xenial)
using dpkg-buildpackage.