cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: IPv6 progress in Basic Networking
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2016 08:50:21 GMT
Hi, see in-line

Nux!
www.nux.ro

>>Since we know the MAC address and the /64 prefix we can *calculate* the address
>>a Instance will take. With that we do not have to store the address in a
>>database.
>
> Doing bit of research on this makes me believe that this is a preferred way of
> getting ipv6 address for the instance. Was wondering why we cannot do the same
> for ipV4, but there I guess we will run into uniqueness issue.

Please feel free to correct me, but SLAAC obtained IPv6 addresses will not always be determinable
based on MAC address.
Last I looked at this - because we wanted to somehow use IPv6 in SG zone and failed :>
- some Linux distros and Windows versions can enable privacy extensions (net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr).

So for the scenario to work, we need to make sure privacy extensions are switched off - but
who knows for how long this will be doable, not to mention some ISO, PCI etc policies might
require it on.

Some random reading from the interwebz, he touches on the subject: https://major.io/2016/04/17/enable-ipv6-privacy-networkmanager/

IMHO - without knowing all the ugly details behind DHCPv6 and so on - I think going for DHCP
might be the better option in the long run.

Lucian