cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Travis build and tests
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:49:48 GMT

Regards,

Rohit Yadav

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue
On 26-Mar-2016, at 9:56 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rohit,
>
> Thank you, thank you so very very much for this !

:) Thanks Sebastien, we all need this

> -Sebastien
>
>> On 26 Mar 2016, at 17:49, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>> While Travis builds are based on ACS-simulator and a green Travis build does not
represent that PR is “good enough”, it gives us a way to fail fast while performing basic
checks such as maven build checks, checkstyle checks, unit tests, and a basic integration
test against simulator against mysql.

>> Since last couple of months, our Travis build has been unreliable. Even though it
may be green, the result parsing scripts had an issue which caused unreliable. I just want
to share that I’ve fixed them in this PR along with changes from security hackathon (from
Daan et al) and requesting here for reviewing it and merging it soon:
>> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1397
>>
>> Travis Changes:
>> - Travis machine image changed to trusty (Ubuntu 14.04), it would now now build PRs
on GCE VMs instead of previous precise based environment. It guarantees a clean environment
(separate VMs on every run) with 2Cores and upto 7.5GB RAM
>> - Uses local pip/python, by avoiding sudo usage and maybe in future use Travis’s
container based testing service that offers few other feature such as caching, parallel executions
etc
>> - Fixes marvin test result parser, that now brings in a “Time” column which can
be used to optimize tests
>> - Optimizations around tests and JVM memory to run these tests under an hour
>>
>> For example, you may see this Travis run jobs and see the improved build output and
result parsing:
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/cloudstack/builds/118692017
>>
>> On local machine I was able to run all smoke tests and some component tests against
a simulator based marvin cfg, one can simply provide a kvm/xen/vmware based marvin cfg and
use required_hardware=true to run tests against real hardware:
>> https://gist.github.com/bhaisaab/e970264da5005c76c611
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Rohit Yadav
>>
>> rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
>> www.shapeblue.com
>> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London  WC2N 4HSUK
>> @shapeblue

Regards.