cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Travis build and tests
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2016 16:49:11 GMT
While Travis builds are based on ACS-simulator and a green Travis build does not represent
that PR is “good enough”, it gives us a way to fail fast while performing basic checks
such as maven build checks, checkstyle checks, unit tests, and a basic integration test against
simulator against mysql.

Since last couple of months, our Travis build has been unreliable. Even though it may be green,
the result parsing scripts had an issue which caused unreliable. I just want to share that
I’ve fixed them in this PR along with changes from security hackathon (from Daan et al)
and requesting here for reviewing it and merging it soon:

Travis Changes:
- Travis machine image changed to trusty (Ubuntu 14.04), it would now now build PRs on GCE
VMs instead of previous precise based environment. It guarantees a clean environment (separate
VMs on every run) with 2Cores and upto 7.5GB RAM
- Uses local pip/python, by avoiding sudo usage and maybe in future use Travis’s container
based testing service that offers few other feature such as caching, parallel executions etc
- Fixes marvin test result parser, that now brings in a “Time” column which can be used
to optimize tests
- Optimizations around tests and JVM memory to run these tests under an hour

For example, you may see this Travis run jobs and see the improved build output and result
parsing:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/cloudstack/builds/118692017

On local machine I was able to run all smoke tests and some component tests against a simulator
based marvin cfg, one can simply provide a kvm/xen/vmware based marvin cfg and use required_hardware=true
to run tests against real hardware:
https://gist.github.com/bhaisaab/e970264da5005c76c611

Regards.

Regards,