cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Request for comments: Out-of-band Management for CloudStack (new feature)
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 11:37:18 GMT
Hi Wido,

The feature does not assumption IPv4 or IPv6, it’s upto the driver and the address you provide.
Presently, the driver simply forks out a ipmitool process with a bunch of validated arguments.
So, if the driver can reach to the specified address/port  (address can be a fqdn, ipv4 or
ipv6 address) it will work with your ipv6 servers. (if you can do a ipmitool <args>
<cmd> from the mgmt server host, the feature will work in your env)

> On 03-Mar-2016, at 11:13 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
>
> Short note (on tablet), please make sure it supports IPv6 :)
>
> We at PCextreme manage our IPMI for example over IPv6 only.
>
> Wido
>
>> Op 3 mrt. 2016 om 11:43 heeft Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com> het volgende
geschreven:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to propose this new feature for CloudStack, to support out-of-band management
for CloudStack.

>> In practice, most hosts have a out-of-band management such as iLO or iDRAC (that
can support IPMI 2.0 for example). The idea is to allow admins to access this out-of-band
management interface. Initially power-state related operations will be supported such as power
on/off/reset etc. and a background service to synchronize the power states of the out-of-band
management enabled hosts.

that can be run as a standalone server/tool and also importable to write Marvin tests: https://github.com/bhaisaab/ipmisim

>> Thanks and regards.
>> PS. I’ll be demoing this feature in today’s CSEUG meetup in London
>>

>> Rohit Yadav
>> Software Architect   ,       ShapeBlue
>> d:    | s: +44 203 603 0540   |      m:      +91 8826230892
>> e:   rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com | t:   |      w:      www.shapeblue.com
>> a:   53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK
>>
>> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services
India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue
Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated
under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic
trademark.
you believe you have received this email in error.

>> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services:
>> IaaS Cloud Design & Build | CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework
>> CloudStack Consulting | CloudStack Software Engineering
>> CloudStack Infrastructure Support | CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses

Regards.

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> |
CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/> | CloudStack Software