cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Important Pending Items
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 05:49:44 GMT
Hi Paul,

The goals and functionality of the CI on which we are working are the same (please review
the FS<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Test+bed+orchestrator+and+test+runner+to+enable+continuos+integration>
), The difference being the method of implementation. We are not using nested virtualisation
to create test environments. The work on CI began long back but unfortunately due to other
priorities we could not work on a continuous basis and bring it to completion.

I agree that we should come to a consensus on what the community wants from the CI. IMHO the
basic and immediate requirement would be to have a stable system to test the PRs and post
results. Once we have this, we can
talk about providing test setups to the community and next steps. I think the availability
of hardware has been a big hurdle (even if we use virtualisation).

Instead of working independently on the same thing let us work on this together. I will share
what we have currently, we can use it, or parts of it (some of it is there at https://github.com/bvbharatk/cloudstack-automation,
but it is not organised as in cannot be run out of the box). While virtualisation is good
from the ease of orchestration and resource utilisation point of view, it has other problems
like compatibility/dependencies issues. Also it might tie the CI to a particular Hypervisor
like ESXi as you have pointed out.

So let us discuss on how to proceed further, and get things rolling.

Thanks,
Bharat.

On 11-Feb-2016, at 9:44 PM, Paul Angus <paul.angus@shapeblue.com<mailto:paul.angus@shapeblue.com>>