cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Getting rid of the Virtual Router (associated downtime)
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:41:58 GMT

> Op 13 februari 2016 om 10:41 schreef Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro>:
>

> Hello,
>
> I saw it mentioned somewhere around here in the recent past, but don't recall
> details.
>
> Has anybody had any interesting ideas? I for one absolutely dread relying on
> the VR, and not because of the VR itself, but for the downtime involved with
> upgrading it.
>
> At work we've been running a SG zone and it's been rock solid with 100%
> uptime, but the lack of features (multiple network support mainly) is becoming
> more and more pressing.
>
> Is moving VR functionality down to the hypervisor an option for platforms that
> support this? (Xen, KVM)

Well, I never thought about it very much, but one thing that came to mind is
moving the DHCP part towards the KVM hypervisor.

Libvirt supports networks for example: http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html

It also allows for DHCP reservations. Under water libvirt will simply spawn
dnsmasq to perform the DHCP.

This combines nicely with the network filtering being performed by libvirt:

So in short:
- Use libvirt for the DHCP on the hypervisor
- Also use libvirt for the security grouping

Wido