cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <john.burw...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSE] Dynamic inter VPC routing
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 19:06:53 GMT
Simon,

The design is intended to allow other protocols to be added (in particular BGP).  While we
don’t have plans to implement BGP in this initial implementation, we do want to ensure that
it is possible.  Therefore, if you see any aspect of the design that you feel would inhibit/prohibit
BGP in the future, please let us know.

Thanks,
-John

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 8:21 AM, Simon Weller <sweller@ena.com> wrote:
>
> I think this is a cool idea, but I'd submit that we may want to make some additional
considerations if we're talking about adding routing protocol support to the VRs.

> One thing we're doing here at ENA right now (outside of Cloudstack VRs) is running BGP
on VMs in order to manage floating ips (anycast BGP). If the effort is going to go in to run
OSPF up to a P/PE router, it makes sense to also support BGP on the public interfaces. This
opens up a lot of exciting possibilities in terms of being able to provide native support
for intelligent geographic based services (i.e. GSLB without DNS).

> Just my 2 cents.
>

> - Si
>

> ________________________________

 m:      +91 970 11 99011<tel:+91%20970%2011%2099011>

> e:      abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>
        |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>
>
> a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK
>

> [cid:image556e34.png@8ef18889.4f85c6ff]
>

> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India
trademark.
you have received this email in error.

> On 05/01/16, 9:17 PM, "Erik Weber" <terbolous@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Abhinandan Prateek <
>> abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Currently the inter VPC traffic has to go thru the public gateway.
>>> This means the traffic has to be nat-ed across public internet via
>>> core-routers, which is inefficient in itself. A more efficient approach
>>> will be to route the traffic locally.
>>>
>>> The proposal is to enable quagga- ospf on VPC routers so that the
>>> traffic between VPC's is routed efficiently.
>>>
>>> The design doc is here:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dynamically+routed+VPC
>>>

>> Regarding Super-CIDRs it states that a Super-CIDR will be divided into /24
>> and /27s, but it is unclear to me if this is hard coded or just an example.
>>
>> What if a user wants to use /26 as their Tier-network within a /16
>> Super-CIDR?
>
> There are several options here:
>
> 1. Hardcoded, user does not worry about CIDR selection.
> 2. Have him pick up the mask, cloudstack allocates the CIDRs.
>
> Yes, the document initially assumed a rigid system of allocation of CIDRs, but after
internal discussion it was decided that we allow user to pick up the masks. It seems you are
also pointing in that direction. Will update the doc soon.

Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> |
CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/> | CloudStack Software